Friday, November 26, 2010

Coconut-Walnut Mayonnaise


Why is this mayonnaise smiling? (Please tell me you can see the smiley face in the jar!) Because after our first failed attempt at making mayo, the second was a success. Mrs.Barbie.C (my mother) and I decided to try our hand at some homemade mayonnaise today. One of the favorite leftover meals in our family is a sandwich loaded with turkey, stuffing and cranberry- topped with a smear of mayonnaise. Our first try was using my handy dandy Vitamix, but our results were too watery. After some deliberation we decided to whisk by hand. It worked well, but left these two ladies with some very sore arms!

Coconut-Walnut Mayonnaise:
  • 2 Egg Yolks from Organic/Pastured Eggs
  • 1/2 Cup Walnut Oil
  • 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil (melted)
  • 1/2 Lemon (juiced)
  • 1/2 Tablespoon Whey
  • 3/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Paprika
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Onion Powder
  • 1/4 Teaspoon White Pepper
Method:

In a bowl place 2 egg yolks, spices and lemon.


Whisk together until smooth.


Add the oil drop by drop, whisking continuously. After it has emulsified you can add it a little faster as a stream, but still slowly. (sorry, no picture! Impossible to whisk, pour and take a picture all at once!)



All finished, now add the whey and place in a glass jar.

A word about the whey: I got the idea from Kelly the Kitchen Kop. Linked is her recipe, which I have not tried yet. In her recipe she links this one from Cheeseslave which does an excellent job explaining the details of lacto-fermentation. Happy Reading!

NOTE: After making this I found my family split 50/50 about if they liked this or not. My mother, husband and I liked it but my Father, middle brother and baby brother did not care for it. Before you try making this be sure you like the flavor of the oil or you will not like the mayo!


Like us on Facebook to get timely updates right in your news feed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...