Friday, January 14, 2011

Roasted Red Peppers



My Father loves Roasted Red Peppers. I remember him buying tons of red peppers whenever they were on sale to roast them. Once you know how to do these you will see how easy it is to make them! You can serve them alone, with crusty bread, on sandwiches, pasta - the list is endless! After making you can eat these right away or you can place them in the refrigerator for use later.  I think they always taste better the next day (if they last that long).




Continue reading after the jump...

Roasted Red Peppers

  • 4 Red Peppers
  • 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
  • 1 Large Clove of Garlic (finely diced)
Method:

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Lay the red peppers on a foil lined cookie sheet. Do not skip this part, they will make a mess of the pan.


Into a 450 degree oven for 15-18 minutes. They will start to blister and blacken. Turn.


Repeat, turning until all sides are blistered and slightly blackened as shown below.


Remove from the oven and while still hot transfer to a large bowl.


The next thing you want to do is let them steam, some people place the bowl in a paper bag. I think it is just easier to place a plate on top. Whatever works!


Leave them there until they have cooled enough to handle easily. Do not skip this step, if they have not steamed for a little bit they will be harder to peel. Reserve the juices at the bottom of the bowl.


Next, just ease off the skin using your fingers. Repeat until all peppers are skinless.


Cut into thin strips. Some people still use their fingers to do this, again whatever works!


Place into a bowl or serving dish.


Add the diced garlic.


Drizzle with the olive oil.


Add back the juices from the peppers and stir it all up.


Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. Enjoy!



I submitted this recipe to Simple Lives Thursday, check it out for other great recipes from real food bloggers.



Like us on Facebook to get timely updates right in your news feed!

6 comments:

  1. I love making roasted peppers! My one challenge with this is the fact that the olive oil solidifies in the fridge and then my husband finds them unappetizing. Grr.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jackie! Before you eat them, set out on the counter until room temperature. The olive oil will go back to liquid and your problem is solved! I think they are better room temp anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them with crusty bread and sharp provolone! The smell of roasting peppers always reminds me of Mom-Mom's house -- they are one of my favorite things ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be saving this post. The other day I was very frustrated because I didn't have the roasted red peppers a recipe called for and I love the idea of making my own. Wonder if I could somehow preserve them so I could always have them on hand.

    -Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brenda- I bet there is a way that you could, but I have no idea what it would be! I suppose you could always can them? I wonder if they would freeze well? Mine are never around long enough for me to find out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...